Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Earth Day Activities planned at Ogden Nature Center
Come out on Saturday, April 17 from 12 noon - 4 pm to the Ogden Nature Center’s annual Earth Day Celebration. The entire community is invited to come learn and play! Earth Day is a day of education, celebration and action. Admission is only $1 per person, or free if you ride the bus, bicycle or walk.
--Recycled/Upcycled Art & Craft Sale
--River Trailer -- wetlands & erosion
--Native Plant Sale
--Nature Scavenger Hunt / Nature Walks
--Soda Bottle Seed Growing
--Sustainable Landscape Techniques
--Organic Fare from Dragonfly Health Foods
--Microhikes (in a 2 ft. sq. area)
--Green Building & Solar Array Tours
--Slow Food Utah
--Live Bird Presentations
--Navajo tacos, Smoothies & Lemonade
--Nature Crafts for Kids
--Leave No Trace / Local Pathways
--Recycling / Gardening / Astronomy
Winners of the annual Earth Day Art Poster Contest winners will be announced at a ceremony at 11 a.m. that day. Contestants and their families are invited. This year’s theme is “Ways I Help The Earth.” Entries for the contest should be two-dimensional on 9” x 12” paper. Entries are due on April 3. All children in grades K-6 are invited to enter. Entry forms are available at the Ogden Nature Center.
EARTH DAY ENTERTAINMENT SCHEDULE
On the Earthen Stage Behind the Visitor Center
- Cheyenne Herland, guitarist and vocalist from 12:15 to 12:45 pm.
- Talented bagpiper, Shaunna Goldberg, will perform from 1:00 to 1:30 pm. Shauna plays with various groups including the Galloway Highlanders. She loves sharing the evocative essence of the Highland Pipes on city streets, rollicking bus rides or on mountain summits. On Earth Day, she will be playing in the glen behind the Visitor Center.
- Celtic Beat Irish Dancers will return to Earth Day again this year. Celtic Beat will show off their fancy footwork from 2:00 – 2:30 pm. These spirited youth dancers have been trained by LaRae Thackery of Layton.
- Dan Arnow along with other local talent, will host an Earth Day Musical Tribute and drumming circle from 3:00 - 4:00 pm.
At the Ogden Nature Center Amphitheater
Wild Bird Presentations will start at 12:30, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00 and 3:30 pm. Ogden Nature Center educators and volunteers will present several of the birds and animals that call the Nature Center home. Learn about bird species native to Utah, including owls, hawks and eagles.
In the West classroom of the LS Peery Education Center
Composting Lectures will take place at 1:00 & 3:00 p.m.
EXHIBITORS – set up all day from 12 noon – 4 pm
Slow Food Utah
Leave No Trace
Recycled Denim Art
Sustainable Ogden / Fresh Air Fridays
Ogden Ranger District / River Trailer
Audubon Society / Backyard Birding
Dept. of Environmental Quality
ATK / Wet Lab
Ogden Farmers Market
Ogden Nature Center Earth Day Poster Contest Exhibit
Ogden Nature Center Birdhouse Exhibit
Ogden Nature Center Volunteer and Membership Information
Solar Array Tours
Utah Environmental Congress
Save Our Canyons
Garden & Landscape Design
Ogden Bicycle Collective
Forest Monitoring Program
USU Horticultural Courses
Quality Bicycle Products
ACTIVITIES – running throughout the day from 12 noon – 4 pm
- Climbing wall
- Soda bottle seed growing
- Head wreaths with the WSU Botany Club
- Sunscope with Brad Carroll from Weber State University
- Astronomy activity with Ott Planetarium
- Make-and-take nature crafts with ONC education staff – recycled necklaces and nature landscape craft
- Story time
- Puppet shows
- Song circles
- Bird Scavenger Hunt with ONC education staff
- Tours of the Nature Center’s green buildings and solar array throughout the day
- Caramel Corn
- Smoothies by Smoothie Island
- Navajo Tacos by Sandy’s Kitchen
- Lemonade & Iced Tea by Grounds for Coffee
- Organic Fare by Dragonfly Health Foods
GREEN PRODUCT VENDORS
- Native Plant Sale by Willard Bay Gardens
- Handmade jewelry by Heather Castillow
- Handmade gourds and leaf pictures by Green Leaf Gifts & Greenhouse
- Pottery by Kevin Parsons
- Eco-friendly products with Green the World
- Stained glass and flower pots with Youth Impact
- Sun Necklaces & Earth Day bracelets by ONC volunteers
This year’s Earth Day Celebration is sponsored by Elliot-Hall Company, ATK, Ogden City Arts, The Standard-Examiner, Quality Bicycle Products, Westinghouse and Grounds for Coffee.
Earth day will be held rain or shine at the Ogden Nature Center, located at 966 W. 12th Street in Ogden. For more information contact the Ogden Nature Center at 801-621-7595.