Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Liability Insurance required for Boats and Personal Watercraft

Salt Lake– Owners of motorboats, including personal watercraft (PWC), are required to carry owner’s or operator’s liability insurance on vessels operating on Utah’s waters. Motorboats equipped with engines less than 50 horsepower are exempt from this requirement.

Proof of insurance must be carried on board their motorboat whenever it is in operation. The minimum insurance requirements are: $25,000/$50,000 bodily injury/death - $15,000 property damage or $65,000 combined minimum per accident.

A motorboat owned by a non-Utah resident and registered in the non-resident’s state must meet its state’s insurance requirements or have 90 days to comply with Utah’s liability insurance requirements.

The following tips may help save money on boat insurance:

- Look for a marine-specific policy

- Get an appraisal of your boat’s value: Today's competitive boat buying market has likely reduced the value of your boat, which could allow you to reduce your premium.

- Check for duplication and understand your coverage: If you have a homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy, it may cover items such as sports equipment.

- Educate yourself: Take a Utah State Parks or U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary boating education course. Completion of the course may reduce your premium.

For more information go www.stateparks.utah.gov//boating or call 801-538-BOAT. Wear it Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment