Thursday, May 27, 2010
Utah State Parks Boating Tip of the Week
- A properly sized U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person on board. Utah law requires everyone 12 and under, those boating on a river, riding on a personal watercraft and being towed behind a vessel to wear a properly fitted and fastened life jacket.
- Bucket or bilge pump
- Spare paddle, oar or extra motor
- Horn or whistle
- Marine approved, fire extinguisher for motorboats with gasoline or diesel engines
- At least one throwable life preserver on boats 16 feet or longer
- Navigation lights for operation between sunset and sunrise
Many boats are required to carry different equipment depending upon vessel length. For specific boating safety equipment, visit stateparks.utah.gov/boating/checklist or call (801) 538-BOAT. Wear it Utah!